List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-12-09 7:07:24

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> > Yes. We need the service/servicetype/trader stuff for this. So that you
> > can say something like: Give me an application who can play midi's and
> > supports interface "XYZ".
>
> I'm neither Torben nor Mr. Trader ;-) but I can try to answer :-)
>
> I like the idea of creating/defining some generic DCOP interfaces, and
> IMHO we already have a place for that: kdelibs/interfaces .
>
> Just create your FooInterface (as .h file ) and put it in there, together
> with a servicetype .desktop file.
>
> Example:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=ServiceType
> X-KDE-ServiceType=FooService
> Name=Antonio's Service for Foo Interface
>
> Install this .desktop file in $kde_servictypesdir .
> (this will make ksycoca recognize it as service and make it available
> through KServiceType/KTrader)
>
> If an application implements your FooInterface, then it can add a line
> like
> ServiceTypes=FooService
> to its (application) .desktop file.
>
> This will make it possible to let
>
> KTrader::OfferList offers = KTrader::self()->query( "audio/midi", "`FooService` in ServiceTypes" );
>
> return you a list of services being able to play midi and supporting your
> given interface :-)
>
> (what's left is starting and contacting your service/server/application :)
>
> (note that the ServiceTypes field is a list -> you can let a service/app
> implement mulitple servicetypes (which can be indirectly bound to an
> interfaces) .
>
> Is that what you are looking for, Antonio? :)

Yes, thanks for the explanation :-)
But I couldn't find any explanation as detailed as yours in the docs,
and this is too important not to be explained anywhere.

Also, someone should do the "abstract" interfaces from which to inherite
the application specific ones (the ones which are really installed).

Again, thanks for the information,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
antlarr@arrakis.es        larrosa@kde.org