List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-12-09 6:55:53

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 01:29:52PM +0100, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > I've been thinking about how fast and easy it is to write a DCOP interface
> > for any application and all that. But before everyone starts doing so, I think
> > we should write a standard.
> >
> > For example, each application should have an "Open(QString)" method that opens
> > the given file (just as they are 'forced' to have an "Open ..." item in the
> > "File"
> > menu). And a "Save(QString)" which saves the current file in that url (although
> > that would be trickier as sometimes 'current file' is not well defined, but I
> > suppose you get my line of thinking).
> >
> > I've come to this because I thought of adding a DCOP interface to KMid, and
> > Greg Lee, has already added one to KMidi which is different to the one I thought
> > to implement. With an standard we could be sure that any application will be
> > able to use any of them independently and people will write scripts much more
> > easily.
> >
> > Another problem is the name of the DCOPObject that receives the DCOP calls, I
> > suppose there should be also an standard on this.
> >
> > Also, is there any _simple_ way to know which apps are installed on the system
> > that implement a given interface or a superset of it ? ( "superset" = "which
> > includes the given one as a subset" :) )
> > I suppose KTrader in kio has something to do with it, but it doesn't have any
> > docs, so it seems it's just for specific uses.
> >
> > Anyone is doing something like that ? I have very little time and already
> > promised to do other things which aren't so urgent, but I think I should do
> > before this.
> >
> > The basic idea would be to have something like a MidiPlayerIFace definition
> > distributed with KDE (along with a GraphicViewerIFace definition, a
> > GraphicEditorIFace definition, a TextEditorIFace definition, etc.)
> > with "Load(QString)", "Play(void)", "Stop(void)", "Pause(void)", and that
> > any application can use this interface to play midi files, be it with KMidi
> > or KMid.
> >
> > It's somehow similar to mimetypes (the user should also have a preference list),
> > but not exactly the same.
> >
> > Opinions ? Is this too crazy ?
>
> I'd like to have the MidiPlayerIFace look like the one we specified in
> the multimedia SIG paper.

Yes.

> http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/download/KDE-TWO-Multimedia-SIG.txt

[Iface cut]

> I'd also like that to be written as MCOP object. MCOP idl should be
> (almost) up to the task to do that, and if KMid/i provide such interfaces,
> they can be used as sharedlib and seperate application without problems.

I am already finishing the shared lib !.
I think that DCOP is enough to implement this (we don't need really fast comm.
nor send notes through DCOP), MCOP could be used to communicate with the
midi server in realtime once the library is done, which will be after KDE 2.0 .

> Also, KMedia2 should be built upon that.

Yep,

> I also think that bringing up a fully featured KMid/i might be overkill.
> Instead, only the components that do the midi itself should be loaded,
> either in the game, or in the aRts server (which gives better
> synchronization). And yes: I'll see if I can care about the
> "attribute" and "readonly attribute" language mapping in MCOP soon.
> "enum" is also missing.

As I said, I'm finishing the midi library (which, I know, I said would
be finished in November :-( ), once it is done, perhaps Greg would like
to add timidity support (I'm adding SoftOSS support asap anyway). And
then any app will be able to play midi just by linking to it.

> BTW, anyone wants to write that DCOP <-> MCOP proxy ;)?

:)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez