List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-12-08 15:52:27

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > > It's not only about embedding an X11 window, that's no deal, yeah. The
> > > point about using shared libraries is that you can use the Qt action
> > > pattern.
> >
> > Then this further rules out KParts for me. And furthermore, it
> > would be real license mess. I'm not going to put my programs
> > under the GPL just because some freaks use such viral licenses.
>
> Sorry, but I don't get your point. (please help :)
>
> What's wrong with using shared libraries, also in regard to the
> (excellent) Qt action pattern?

It's a step back to the old days of DOS. Unix provides the
ability to protect processes from each other, and every
reasonable person makes use of this. Windows programmers
have waited long for this feature, and its lack of memory
protection is the greatest weakness of MacOS.

> And which "freaks use such viral licenses" in regard to embedding, KParts
> or even the Qt action system?

KOffice, Konqueror, KDevelop, many others.

Bernd.