List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Program identification module - about dialogs
From:       Espen Sand <espen.sand () neo ! no>
Date:       1999-12-08 12:27:13

On ons, 08 des 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
>On Mit, 08 Dez 1999, Espen Sand wrote:
>
>> In order to get this working we need some idetification module and here is
>> what he proposed:
>
>Good idea.
>
>some things that come to my mind:
>
>1) Mirko Sucker wrote something like that already. I think it's still in
>kdelibs. maybe you should have a look at it.

I know because I have written quite a bit of what is in kaboutdialog.cc ;-)
I will use this for the dialog.  But I need to clean up kaboutdialog.cc and the
classes first. It is a bit messy at the moment.

>2) why call all those methods "add*" ? normally in Qt and KDE they're called
>"set*", right?

Sure, this is just an example. It will be setXXX(). Some, e.g.
addContributor(), should use "add" instead of "set"

>3) shouldn't the about box be part of the help menu? if yes, then why
>storing the pointer in KApplication. it would match better in the helpmenu
>class imho. (it's a widget anyway).
>
>4) and why K_T_Aboutbox? imho KAboutDialog matches better the existing
>naming sheme.

These are just names I (more or less) randomly chose when I wrote the mail.

The tought is that KAboutProgram (or whatever it will be named) will just
store the strings, nothing else. That is why it can be placed in kapp. It does
not depend on kdeui. Then the KAboutApplicationDialog (or whatever it will be
named) dialog box will read data from this object.  The KHelpMenu will contain
such a KAboutApplicationDialog object which will be initialized when the user
selects the corresponding entry in the help menu.

--
Espen Sand