List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Program identification module - about dialogs
From:       Espen Sand <espen.sand () neo ! no>
Date:       1999-12-08 8:21:30

Ok, for a change here is something not related to .desktop ;)

I have talked with Gary Meyer (maintainer of KCron) during the
last days on the topic making a better std "about application" dialog box.

In order to get this working we need some idetification module and here is
what he proposed:

class KTAboutProgram
{
void addAuthor(QString name, QString emailAddress = "", QString URL ="");
void addCredit(QString name, QString forText, QString emailAddress ="", QString URL = ""),
void addProjectWebsite(QString URL);
void addCopyrightStatement(QString copyright);
void addLicenseText(QString licenseText); // Espen: Perhaps just an Id.
void addOtherText(QString paragraph);
void addSubmitBugsTo(QString emailAddress);
// Espen: I would like to have an addVersion( const QString str ) as well.
}

I would like to store such a moldule in kapp. Of course, this object will just
be a pointer and only allocated if ever used, so it will not waste much space.

I am planning add the improved about box to KHelpMenu. This dialog box could
then read the stored values of the KTAboutProgram object to make the contents.

Is this something we should do? I think the idea of an identification module is
very useful. As it is today there is no structure or guidelines at all so
almost anything would be an improvement.

--
Espen Sand