List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kded excluding dirs?
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-12-01 17:30:00

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 01:57:04PM +0000, David Faure wrote:

Hi,

> > is it possible to configure kded which directories to watch for new
> > mimetypes, .desktop-files, et al?
> > I imagine our university network, where the KDE-installation is quite
> > static (you wouldn't need to run kded at all), but with KDEDIRS, a user
> > could install his own additions, where kded would make sense.
> > So could I tell kded to watch e.g. ~/kde, but not /usr/KDE?
> If you do that you need a full copy of the mimetype+apps+services+servicetypes
> stuff in ~/.kde, otherwise it won't work...

ideally, kded shouldn't need to recreate the entire ksyscoca-file, but
instead only update/remove/add changed items.
But I guess you would have implemented that already, if it would be easily
possible. Otherwise, one could tell kded to not use KDirWatch on the
global stuff, but to restrict it to local files. If something changes,
well, recreate the entire ksycoca, but at least don't monitor it all the
time.

Actually our home-dirs are on nfs as well, so a different approach would
be to make the stat-delay of kded/KDirWatch configurable in a kdedrc.

> > I don't think 500 users stat'ing our /usr/KDE hierarchy once in a second
> > over NFS would be a good idea.
> I thought KDirWatch was quite efficient, but I'm not sure.

Efficient yes (a single stat doesn't cost that much), but this does not
apply to large network with hundreds of users.

> I think the best would be to try this out, and if it's really slow, one

Sorry, I can't tell everybody to run kded in our uni, and I don't have an
NFS network myself.

> solution is to run kded only once, to kill it (so that you get your
> ksycoca file), and re-run it manually evertime you want a change to
> be taken into account...

Well, that's not acceptable for a user, he shouldn't have to care about
that at all. If users install their own mimetypes in ~/.kde, kded should
monitor that.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--