List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAction and KAccel
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-30 15:05:29

David Faure wrote:
> I was wondering about this - all apps using KAction are NOT using KAccel
> at the moment (ok, except yours now :) ) and they should be converted.
>
> Although... Simon and Torben : didn't you say something about a key
> configuration dialog based on KAction alone ? Hmmm... this wouldn't
> allow restoring a previously saved configuration. Ok, it's probably better
> to use KAccel then.

I've mixed feelings about using KAction and KAccel together.  My
example code works.. but it's not ideal.  For instance, when you use
the KKeyDialog to update the accel, the KAction ones will *not* change
until you restart your app.

I'm investigating the possibility of hacking some code to let KAccel
and KAction "know" about each other.. but I would have to convert
KAccel to a QObject (and add a signal) and add quite a few new
constructors to KAction.

> I strongly encourage everybody to do the same in his app - I'll do
> it in konqueror.  IIRC the style guide suggest "Options/Configure
> Keys..." for the menu item calling the config dialog.

Oh.. I didn't even see that.  I've been using:
"Options/Configure &Key Bindings..."

My *personal* opinion is that saying "key bindings" is more
understandable than just "keys"... but I'll go with whatever.
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix