List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion (Was: Key management)
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-26 0:17:38

Kmail currently uses Ctrl-T for email completion. I suspect a lot of users
never figure this out. I think it would be better if KMail used a standard key
combination for completion.

The other non-standard thing in KMail I notice is that drag and drop from the
header list to the folder list doesn't prompt the user with a copy/move dialog.

Unfortunately I am working on background downloading of mail from a pop server
and improved detection of old mail on  a pop server now and I don't have time to
work on these issues. (After I've done that I'll clean up some outstanding
kmail/kedit issues, and resume my addressbook work for kde-pim).

BFN,
Don.

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> >%_On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 06:58:59AM -0500, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to delay this until after KRASH, but now is a good time, I think.
>
> Why restrict completion to URL-completion or command-completion?
> Everything should be completable, email-addresses in a mailer,
> phone-numbers in an address-book, commands, everything a user can enter
> somewhere what the system knows about.
> Therefore, I made a simple but generic KCompletion-class based on
> QStringList which can be used for that purpose. I already wrote a new
> KURLCompletion, derived from KCompletion, which not only works on
> directories, but also on remote urls via KIO.
> Due to that dependency, I wanted to add that class either to KIO or kfile
> (it's already used in the new kfile), while the basic KCompletion-class
> could go into kdecore.
>
> KEdit could easily be extended to make use of this and automatically use
> the user-configured completion-mode.
>
> Cheers,
> Carsten Pfeiffer
> --