List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Progress dialogs
From:       Matt Koss <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       1999-11-25 12:41:35

On Št, 25 nov 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

>> Little progress is not used so far, but this could change. I have added some
>> info to the docs, so apps like kedit, etc. could try it out.
>
>Are you sure about this ?  I thought konqueror uses it to show progress when
>retreiving pages from net and also displaying large directories ...
>Umm ... perhaps your machine is too fast for this :)

Konqueror is not using this widget at all, even if I don't know why.
IMO it should be ported, because konqueror implementation does the same as
KIOLittleProgressDlg.
Objections ?

>While we are talking about this, I wanted to bring up a point I brought up
>before.  I wanted to abstract out all the progress indicator UI out of kiojob.*
>and make them standalone objects.  The intention for this is.  All the work
>that is done will be independent of KIOJob and trims off some size off of it :)
>
>Here is what I am proposing.  Create a base abstarct progress feedback UI class,
>let say it is called KIOBaseProgressUI from which all kio user feedback boxes
>would need to inherit from.  Then all the reference KIOJob would have to a
>progress indicator UI class would be a KIOBaseProgressUI* baseUI.  All the
>changes and updating of the UI part is then performed by these GUI classes
>themselves through the signal/slot mechnism.  I think this abstraction is simple
>to do since KIOJob emits signals about everything ( okay almost everything) it
>does.  Also it is much needed because anyone can then extend and/or create
>their own progress feedback dialogs without impacting KIOJob.  What do you all
>think ?  Is this something worth doing ?

This is not needed at all.
Much easier way of doing this is to :
1. call setGUIMode( KIOJob::None ).
2. create your own dialog class, and simply connect KIOJob's signals to
    dialog's slots.

Actually, this is what the current progress dialogs are doing ( simply connect
to KIOJob's slots.
No need to create a super class, because current progress dialogs have a very
different functionality ( just compare LIst, Little and Simple progress dialogs
and you'll see ) and merging of common features would result in something only
a bit smarter then a simple QDialog.

	Regards

			Matt

--