List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Key management
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-25 14:01:35

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
> > > Anyways, IMHO this feature should be configurable. Auto-completion
should be
> > > something that anyone who does not want it can turn off. A
configuration
> > > module in the Control Panel under Applications IMHO is very much
> > > appropriate for minicli now.  In fact there are many things
> > > that could be made configurable in minicli.  Things such as
"abbreviated
> > > URL" (linuxtoday.com) or enabling non-local URL support for that
> > > matter should be configurable to the user's liking.  I can hack this
in
> > > the weekend if no one objects ...
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Dawit A.
> >
> > Good idea.
> >
> > And good luck for finding an appropriate user-friendly name
> for "minicli".
> > ;-)
>
> Funny you should mention this, I have been thinking about that ...
>
> "Mini Command Shell" or "Mini Command Line" perhaps ?

Now that I think of it, I've said something stupid.

Auto-completion, manual completion, ... should be configurable at the
KDE level (i.e. what Waldo already added supported for), and
abbreviated URL and internet keywords should be configurable globally as
well (for konqueror and minicli at the same time)...

We always have to choose between configurability and consistency.
Either everything is configurable on a per-app basis (and we lose
consistency),
or everything is only configurable globally (and we lose flexibility)...

The only thing that might be minicli specific is whether you want to allow
short urls there, because if it's on, typing "kosnole" instead of "konsole"
says "no such host" which is very confusing...

All the rest is IMHO global settings.