List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Key management
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-11-25 1:17:18

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > Btw, I noticed that Tab completion doesn't work on MiniCli anymore,
> > what should I use instead?
>
> Nothing.  Mini-cli has auto-completion, now.  It will automagically
> show a match if there is one...

Not quite.  The new auto-completion feature is much like what is in platforms
such as Windows.  That is, simply typing something will attempt to match any
commands that have already been previously issued (history list).  Hence, the
appropriate name "auto-completion".  This is distinctly different from the
"shell-like" completion that was in the old minicli.  There pressing TAB and
CTRL-D, which BTW were hard-coded, mimicked what most *nix shells do
and attempted to match things that were under that particular directory.
Hence, typing /etc/ and pressing either of the above keys rotates through all
the possible matching directories underneath /etc/, for example /etc/X11/.
Also, AFAIK this feature only works(ed) on local directories.  CTRL-S, which
again was hard-coded, provided rotation through minicli's history list.  BTW
for those wondering this is exactly what you would get by pressing the UP
and DOWN arrow keys in both the old as well as the new minicli.  So the
so called "auto-completion" feature in the old minicli was not exactly what
many people, including myself, expected.  Though it was/is still a form of
auto-completion.

Anyways, IMHO this feature should be configurable.  Auto-completion should be
something that anyone who does not want it can turn off.  A configuration
module in the Control Panel under Applications IMHO is very much
appropriate for minicli now.  In fact there are many things that could be
made configurable in minicli.  Things such as  "abbreviated URL" (
linuxtoday.com) or enabling non-local URL support for that matter should be
configurable to the user's liking.  I can hack this in the weekend if no one
objects ...

Regards,
Dawit A.