List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror plugins
From:       Matt Koss <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       1999-11-21 10:44:50

On So, 20 nov 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>I guess the name "searcher" is probably misleading ;-)
>It filters entered URLs in a pretty cool way. The simplest way to test
>this is to simply type "KDE" in the locationbar :-) -- then you'll see
>what it really does ;-)
>
>(You can also (for example) type "fm:caitoo kde" , and Konqueror will
>open up a freshmeat search, looking for "caitoo and kde")

I'll check it out.

>Mosfet is working on another plugin AFAIK, which will add a button to
>Konqueror's toolbar. This should be a plugin of type 2) then (IMHO) .

Yes, he wants to use a new libsearch for this.

>> 1. Leech files :
>> -----------
>> When the web page is displayed, and you somehow select "leech files" plugin,
>> all links from that page are displayed as a list, and user can select something
>> to download.
>> This is what Go!zilla does, but it gets all links from the page and displays
>> them in a special window.
>> We might use a simple konqueror window, which would display a list the same way
>> as directory listing.
>
>This sounds very much like type 2) of plugin :-)
>(as I guess you want to add some menu/toolbar item, in order to make it
>possible to "activate" the plugin via an action)

Exactly.
This would only display the list of the url's in the same konqueror window, and
when user presses "Back", he would be back on the page.

Now I got another idea. Wouldn't be better to integrate this into khtml ?
The rendered page would contain some special link on some default location and
following this link would display the page with only links.

Lynx browser does something similar, but it displays the link at the bottom of
the displayed page.
Konqy would display only some small sign / link.

Lars, Waldo, what ya think ?

>> 2. Caitoo plugin :
>> ------------
>> For this I am not so sure, I just want to do something like we did in former
>> CORBA framework. Something like event filtering, which would catch a copy
>> events and pass them to Caitoo.
>> I don't know whether this would be possible now or I should wait for new KParts
>> to be finished.
>
>Well, we could reintroduce that transferevent stuff, although IMHO it's
>more like a hack.

I am not saying that we should do this in the same way as in CORBA framework.
So far I have no idea, how to do this transparently.
I mean that when user presses F5 to copy, or drags a file icon between two konqy
views, instead of starting copying, Caitoo would handle that transfer.

I really have no other idea how to integrate Caitoo and Konqy, or C&K(tm)  :-)
in the current framework ( = Konqueror plugins ).

     Any ideas guys ?

	Regards

		Matt

--