List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kcmemail
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-11-18 8:46:41

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Stefan Taferner
> > > I think the lowest common denominator, and the best solution, would
> > > be to keep only the 'User Information' section.
> >
> > No, this is not the best solution IMO. Then you can dump it completely
> > as it will not make much sense at all.
>
> Why not ? The user enters their name, organisation and email address.
> That's useful for many apps. It saves the user having to enter them
> many times.

And for most apps that have email support, it is enough to have a default
mail server.

This is like dumping the standard color dialog because there are apps that
have custom colors for some background (kvt, ...).

I really hate the idea to dump or strip the standard dialog only because
there are apps that have more options than what kcmemail contains.

Wherever you look, you will always have apps that have more options
than the standard dialog supports. The display/color dialog is only one
example.

We have to offer a good set of common options at first.

And each mail program at least has one identity, one outgoing
server, and one incoming account.

> > Alternatively there could be an extra dialog or tab page that allows
> > to set the alternative identities / mailboxes, etc.
>
> There could be, but it would be nearly impossible to cover all
> possibilities and make all concerned with mail clients happy.

If you remark that everything that is entered on the alternative
page might or might be not understood by your client then it should
be no problem.

Make the alternative page with maximum flexibility:
A list of identities, with each having it's own mail server and mail
account.

--Stefan