List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Widgets & layouts
From:       Matt Koss <koss () post ! sk>
Date:       1999-11-15 16:37:22

Some things in current Qt and KDE GUI stuff that I am not so happy about :

1. KNumInput and label alignment

   I like the new KNumInput widgets, but why can't I set the label to be
   displayed on the left from the lineedit ?
   setLabelAlignment() simply aligns label, which is still up from the
   lineedit.
   This forces me to use KNumInput without a label, and add another QLabel on
   the left.

2. KDialogBase & centering

   Caitoo's preferences dialog is now based on KDialogBase, but when opened,
   it is strangely centered on the screen.
   It seems that the left-top corner is put into the center of the screen and
   the rest of dialog is built in the right-bottom direction.
   This leads to the half of the dialog out of the screen, which is not what I
   call "centered".
   Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug in KDialogBase ?

   I have found out that this is somehow caused by call to disableResize().
   When I don't call it, dialog is nicely centered on the screen.

    BTW, how is the help feature in KDialogBase supposed to work ? I mean the
    linked help stuff.

3. QGridLayout and setRowStretch()

  I create a layout with 3 rows. Top and bottom row contain lineedits and
  middle row is set with setRowSpacing( 5 ).
  All rows has a same row-stretch factor 5.
  When opened, the middle spacing row is stretched wide in the middle and the
  lineedits are just on the top and bottom.
  The middle space is simply two big !
  I can avoid this with using stretch factor 0 ( zero ) for a middle row and
  using setRowSpacing( 25 or something ).

  I thought that the first way should do something similar as the second. But
  clearly it doesn't.

4.  QListView.

   I have already posted my problems with setting of the minimum height for a
   listview. After setting its size with
	setMinimumHeight( sizeHint().height() );
   the listview becomes very high, and hides the next row in QGridLayout.

   Another thing that I would really appreciate is a special width mode for
   columns called "Last takes the rest" :-)
   The last column would simply fill the rest of the space in the listview,
   without a need to specify its size. This would simply prevent horizontal
   scrollbar from appearing.

	Thanks for listening,

			 regards

				Matt