List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KMix major changes: Your help is needed
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-14 20:18:05

On Son, 14 Nov 1999 Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a small question regarding KMix.
>
> I use KMix in KDE 1.1.2 a lot, and one of the things that annoys me, is
> that it cannot be running from the beginning as a docked app. It always
> running full window when KDE starts.

Please allow docking in the config. Now quit KDE and restart your KDE
session.

- If KMix was in docked state on your last session, it is docked again.
- If KMix was in non-docked state on your last session, it is there as full
   window again.

At least this is what I have programmed.

> Also, I don't see support for AWE32/64 - what happend to it? where are
> some support for AGC support?

Nobody contributed support for AWE in. I evaluated the API, but this AWE
support looked very unpromising - the special ioctl()'s were not even
officialy documented.

I decided it is not worth the trouble to learn a interface that would perhaps
vanish soon - and in the whole time I only got one single request.

Now the API has changed, for example SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_ENHANCE
is obsolete and there is some other stuff, for example SOUND_MIXER_PRIVATE1.
Perhaps somebody will contribute support for this.

What is AGC?

> Also, why when I close the window, the KMix closed? why can't it be
> closed ONLY from the docked menu?

Why? It simply does what every application does: It quits, when you
press the "close" button of the window manager.

> People who use windows tend to like it the way windows handle it..

Yes. But this is conceptually "wrong", IMHO. And what is even more important:
If I am not mistaken every current KDE application behaves like that.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone