List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-11-13 0:07:17

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> >
> > Think what would happen if thereīs a programmer who has an application
> > (that he releases just on his homepage) that needs pop3. He would had to
> > ask all his users to install the whole kdenetwork package !
> > For example, letīs say someone does an application that uses pop3 to
> > read the userīs mail and display the subject of new mails as kticker
> > does display news. This app would need you to install kppp, kmail/empath
> > and everything else that is on kdenetwork !
> You haven't been in Erlangen it seems. If I wouldn't have shared the
> bath room
> with you .... :)

:-)

> You can make EASILY a seperated package of kio_pop3

Yes I know, but there are always problems with that. Think
about people installing two different applications which come
with two different versions of kio_pop3.

> > What will we do after this ? Move kio_ldap to the pim module and kio_gz
> > to kdeutils ?
> Why not? Only because kio_slaves _can_ enhance libkio doesn't mean
> everyone
> has to be installed. If a slave is strictly limited in his functionlity
> (as pop3 to mail) I see no point spreading it to more users than the
> ones
> that want it (the ones connected to the internet - interested in mail).

Ok, I see your argument.

I'll leave this subject now, but before that, I would like to note
that IMHO, no application should depend on the kdenetwork package
to work. So the only solution is to copy (I mean, "fork") the code
from kio_pop3 to a third party package (so this "third party developer"
who don't care about CVS would have to keep an eye on the kdenetwork
cvs logs to keep his pop3 kioslave updated). Evenmore, if the user
later decides to try kdenetwork, rpm/dpkg/whatever will find conflicts
as this kioslave was already installed.

Anyway, I'll accept whatever decision is taken (but you already knew
that :-) )

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez