List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-11 18:30:11

On Don, 11 Nov 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > If you want to use Gimp, do you want to install gtk, gnome-libs, gnome-core
> > and maybe even gnome-utils just to use Gimp?
> If I have to

But you actually don't have to!

See, they're brighter than we currently are when it comes to packaging!

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of monolithic versus
modular design. KDE 1.x was monolithic, and everybody not running KDE
as a desktop exclusively complained about it.

We did our best to make KDE 2.x more modular. We break that approach here,
by enforcing the user to install kdeutils kdenetwork and kdebase just to get
the ioslaves. That's imho unacceptable.

Anyway, we're talking here about less than 2MB of sources, so I don't see
the big matter if they're in kdelibs or in kdebase. We gain much and
we loose nothing if they're moved to kdelibs, so why
discussing (or even voting!) about it? I thought KDE development is about
doing the technically best thing possible. Full stop.

This is my last post about that topic. IMHO there are much more important
things to discuss.

Dirk