List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-11-11 17:10:33

Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> On Don, 11 Nov 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > I don't see a point in the pop slave beeing in kdebase anyway. All apps
> > using it are in kdenetwork, why not the slave?
>
> ANY app using kio can use pop3. I like to feature to look after my mail in
> konqueror, although I normally don't have kdenetwork installed.
>
> The same applies to the gzip slave: Any program can use it. Ok, currently
> only konqueror uses it, but this might change in the future.

IMHO, moving kio_pop3 to kdenetwork is a wrong decision.

Think what would happen if thereīs a programmer who has an application
(that he releases just on his homepage) that needs pop3. He would had to
ask all his users to install the whole kdenetwork package !
For example, letīs say someone does an application that uses pop3 to
read the userīs mail and display the subject of new mails as kticker
does display news. This app would need you to install kppp, kmail/empath
and everything else that is on kdenetwork !

What will we do after this ? Move kio_ldap to the pim module and kio_gz
to kdeutils ?

I vote to do a vote (here, not on the kdeforum :) ) and do whatever
the majority says, as this thread wonīt get us to an end in a month.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
antlarr@arrakis.es       larrosa@kde.org