List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-11 16:06:55

David Faure wrote:
> > It's convenient for users if they only have to install
> > kdelibs to get a KDE program to work ;-)
>
> Sure but that's not the case and will never be.

You are correct that it is not the case... but it "will never be" ONLY
if we keep nit-picking about issues.  There is absolutely nothing
inherent about KDE that keeps us from having a standalone kdelibs.

> The program will work (yes, even kmail now that we've agreed for
> moving kio_pop to kdenetwork) but once more : you won't be able to
> configure it (style, language, colors, everything else), nor use
> read its help.  It all depends on what you call 'to work'.

'to work', for 99% of people, means to do what you expect on a day to
day basis.  Most people don't check help on a day to day basis.  If
you are using a standalone KDE app, you don't care (or shouldn't have
the right to complain, at least) about the "frills" like style,
colors, etc.

> > If you want to use Gimp, do you want to install gtk, gnome-libs,
> > gnome-core and maybe even gnome-utils just to use Gimp?
> I use gimp as well, but can I change its language ? I don't think so.
> It's exactly the same thing : the apps basically works but you don't
> get all the features you could expect.

So you would be willing to install a, say, 15M package (maybe 40M
installed) just so you can change the language of one app?!?!  That's
what you are essentially suggesting, here.

> Anyway, the issue is closed now, isn't it ?

This issue has been resolved in the same manner as every other
non-technical issue that has come up in KDE lately -- tons of opinions
and no clear result acceptable to everybody. :-(

> Developers only need kdelibs if they really don't want kdebase (i.e.
> they don't use KDE, which I find strange for kde developers!!) and
> users need kdebase if they want full functionality, but can skip it
> if that's what they want.

David, you are being inconsistent, here!  This above paragraph is
exactly what some of us are saying -- users need kdebase for FULL
functionality but can skip it if they want.  The current situation
with the ioslaves in kdebase means that they CAN'T skip it if their
app needs ioslaves.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth