List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Collection of missing features in QFiledialog
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-05 19:05:27

Hi,

as probably heared on KDE Two, I am a strong supporter of KFileDialog.
Yesterdays discussion (which I have read today) made me think about it.
I compiled a

                   LIST OF MISSING FEATURES IN QFILEDIALOG

Quickly thinking about it I found 8 points. I am sure, I will find more.

Am Don, 04 Nov 1999 schrieb weis:
> Hi,
>
> I know that some people have strong feelings about this issue
> but nevertheless I want to bring it up again.
>
> I got all kinds of problems with the KFileDialog

Several of your bug reports are not valid (especially the "it is
too big" issue): You really should know that it saves its preferred
size.

And QFileDialog is not bug-free as well (see below).

> So I want to suggest the following:
>
> 1) libkfile stays where it as for compatibility and for someone who
>    wants to fix it somewhen
> 2) I derive KFileDialog from QFileDialog and put that in libkdeui.
>    Currently KFileDialog has no extended functionality compared to
>    QFileDialog.

Wrong:
- It allows switching off that stupid mixing of direcories and files.
- It has single click
- It has bookmarks
- It has navigation buttons (prev, up, right, home)
- It shows "forbidden" folders and files via icon
- It has the dropdown list for quickly navigating to the parent directories
- It saves its preferred state in a KDE compliant configuration file:
 Especially the layout and size of the file selector is saved. Every
 QFileSelector I saw opens with a ridiculous small window size.
- And (the best of all): It lacks the ugly window-ish look-and-feel

Oh, and I just tested the Qt fileselector (tested with the "application" demo).
Apparently this is not stable, too:

a) It fails to remove directories.
b) It does not support ftp (though it was rumoured it does).
   BTW: Will it be possible to support any protocol we do (especially ftp, smb)
c) The keyboard handling is broken: On the "Delete directory"
   popup, I  cannot use the "Y" and "N" keys.

Point c) leads me to i18n: Can this be done with the Qt fileselector?

IMO we will end up with deriving from QFileselector and winning nothing
because every method will have to be reimplemented.

So when we will finally come back, we will see that the new implementation
will take again 250KB.
Especially when I see that even the libkonqiconview.so.1.0.0 takes >100KB
and the libkonqtextview.so.1.0.0 takes 75KB.

BTW: When you click on QFileSelector "ListView" button and then press
the "cursor left" key on your keyboard, the filedisplay shrinks to half size
and a panner appears.
What is this behaviour good for? Some kind of "preview area" perhaps?

Oh, found another bug: When the Qt fileselector is in this state, you can
press as often as you want on "Tab", but the focus never goes back to
the "ListView" or "DetailView" buttons any more.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone