List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The filedialog, please read
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-11-04 18:11:34

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, Richard Moore wrote:
>pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
>>
>> OK I am not going to quote all the points that have been made and then
>> systematically try to win the debate.  :)
>>
>> KFileDialog is a nice attempt.  I'm not saying it can't be a great dialog.
>> But the simple fact is _right now_, it is _broken_.  And it has been
>> broken for _ages_.
>>
>> QFileDialog is _not_ broken.
>
>To be honest I would say it is broken by design - it is simply not
>flexible enough. You have nowhere near enough control over the look
>and feel. It is not finished enough to make the release Qt version,
>so why should we use it in KDE? QFD has been crap for as long as I
>have been using Qt and has not been fixed despite this being hammered
>home time and again - I know Reggie's version is all new and improved,
>but if it is as shit hot as you say then please answer the following:
>
>- Why isn't released?

Itīs in Qt snapshots and CVS for a long time now. It was/is done as part of Qt
2.1, so it will be in these release... I donīt see the point of this question
:-)

>- Can you use it embedded in an apps view?
>- Can you reuse the view widgets?

As I said, all the view stuff is there - hidden in private classes. Iīm right
now making a public API for that.

>- Why does it replicate so many of the UI design bugs that have been
>repeatedly identified with the MS dialog? See the GUI hall of shame.
>Note that some of these problems have been fixed in some recent MS
>apps.
>- Can you use single click?

I already answered that in another mail (Iīll implement single/double click
like in QIconView in QListView and QListBox too, then it has these features)

>- Can you add new types of view?
>- Can you customise the tool bar?
>- Can you make the toolbar a KToolBar?

Iīm also (as mentioned some times already now :-) working on UI customation
right now.

>- Does it really have to look as bad as it does in Motif L&F?

Thatīs personal taste...

>- Can you use it with 'virtual' file systems (eg. to navigate data
>structures)?

Yes.

--
Reggie