List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The filedialog, please read
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-04 14:15:29

weis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that some people have strong feelings about this issue
> but nevertheless I want to bring it up again.
>
> I got all kinds of problems with the KFileDialog
>
> a) Key events went in the wrong widget making it unuseable
Never heard of this complaint.

> b) Much too big. Can not find the "Ok" button on my notebook
> c) Very much too big when using a "Projektor" which has 800x600 pixels.
The size is stored and yes, it should be sensible for the resolution
to change. If you first start in on 1280x1024, make it full screen
and then restart it on a 640x480 display you will have most certainly
a problem.
I noticed the same with netscape and was very short before complaining
before I noticed that kfiledialog has the same problem.
QFileDialog is way too small for my taste in return.

> d) I consider it to be "ugly", but that may be my personal taste.
Which is a nil argument I'd say.

> e) It misses some of the nice auto completion features the Qt file dialog
>    has to offer.
Which is yet to come. You should know that it was impossible to do it
the
Qt file dialog does it til QLineEdit was patched to allow exactly this.
It's in the works.

> f) The person who wants to fix kfiledialog has much other work to do.
Hmm, Carsten's Image viewer uses the KfileDialog classes internally and
his deepest interest lies in fixing KFileDialog. You're point beeing?

> g) I dont like the API very mich
Which is 80% the QFileDialog API. And yes, the Preview part needs to be
redone. Like we've done with most of KDE in the last months.

> h) The code looks wired to me. Perhaps I am just a little stupid unable
>    to understand this code, but fixing stuff in there seems to be
>    np complete to me :-)
Sorry, that we couldn't reach your personal taste.

> i) We waste about >250k with this library!!!
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 weis     users      284524 Nov  4 15:47 libkfile.so.3.0.0
We do?

> So I want to suggest to switch to the Qt implementation. Reggie put
> heaps of work in that and it would be stupid to waste that.
It's not wasted. Every other Qt user will be happy.

Next week you will come and say Troll Tech has the nicer QConfig and
that
it would be wasted to have KConfig. And in two weeks ...

Sorry, I (can only speak for myself here) am into KDE because I want to
hack and because I want to see KDE growing - yes. And I'm not into this
to see more and more of this 'we have to do it this way - our customers
require us to look like Windows' widgets within KDE. If the Filedialog
has a bug or a missing feature it's ok if you report it, but saying
it's stupid and ugly is meant to hurt me and the other authors.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.