List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO and Kicker menus
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-11-03 21:11:00

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, Mosfet wrote:
> > I talked to Preston today about the usage of KIO to build the
> > application menus and he said he would be intrested in trying it out. I
> > agreed so he will hack up a KIO based menu, put it in CVS alongside the
> > custom menu class, and we can compare the speed and memory usage of the
> > two. The best one will win :)
>
> Go sycoca go! :-)
>
> Depending on how much information you need to keep around, I would say
> that the memory usage with KIO is the same or lower (in case you don't
> keep all info around and look the info up once you need it). KIO should
> be faster in all cases.
>
> What do I win when I have it right? :-)

Actually, this is doubtful... Resource utilization is zero percent when
not in use and only the filename and a menuitem is kept around when it
is. Also, the management of the .desktop files is the bare minimum
needed in kicker. Look at the code to see.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com