List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KServiceTypeProfile broken?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-03 21:06:31

I just realized something...

The DefaultApp field for a mimetype was removed in order
to prevent overriding the user's preferences when upgrading KDE.
But I thought _services_ would hold a preference (as a number)
so that when installing acroread AND kghostview, kghostview becomes
default (and so that when installing only one, that one's used).

This is not the case. The preference number is in the user's profile.
This is what confused you, and now confuses me as well.
I agree, this doesn't make sense.
The user's profile should simply say "my preferred service for X is Y".

If this makes sense, kuserprofile should be changed to read
the preferences from the _services_ files and read from the profile
only the preferred app.
But obviously Torben had another way of seeing this...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org