List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: kparts
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-01 16:54:57

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > [skip very well-described reasons]
> >
> > > So we discussed about implementing the following:
> > >
> > > Move some features from kparts to libkoffice* and create
> a new set of
> > > interfaces, on top of kparts: A document-view oriented (like
> > > kparts itself) set of interfaces, providing methods for
> > > read-write access to URL referenced documents and for a
> simple QWidget
> > > based graphical embedding.
> > Well, no need to say I'm in favour of this ;)
> >
> > > In addition we might need interfaces to actually read/store
> > > data, like the koffice store.
> > I'm still not sure about this. Please give an example where
> it would be
> > useful :)
>
> I can give you an example: Imagine someone is writing a document
> database that stores images and postscript files. Of course you
> may want to embed KGhostView, but of course KGhostView does not
> know how to load/save from/to the database, so you need a general
> interface to load/save the contained data (if there is any of course).
Hmm, this is something else I would say (KDE apps can't do that
currently), but ok, why not address both.
URLs can be the answer, no ? Well, if we use kioslaves to load a document...

> BTW: We can now embed KGhostView in Konqui. That is cool, but very
> specialized. I can imagine that other apps may want to do that, too!
> Perhaps the BrowserView stuff can just be a specialization of
> a more general embedding stuff ?
Hehe ;)
With Simon we've been saying 'yes' and 'no' to that quite a few times
already... with the conclusion that we would wait and see how it looks
like for general embedding before deciding for konqi.
And also because mosfet just finished ported kdvi and kghostview, so he
would kill us if we drop/change BrowserView right now ;-)

The progress information, for instance, is a bit BrowserView specific...

> > If kdevelop embeds kwrite, it just wants the text file to be saved
> > in the usual way kwrite does. No store stuff
> > (keep in mind the koffice store is actually a file format
> implementation,
> > now a tar file. We don't want that in other apps)
> >
> > > What do you think of that? :-)
> > You see, you can write such mails ! ;)
> >
> > I just read Torben's input. Excellent !! I love it !
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> And Ron sommer loves me for typing it online :-)

Who's Ron Sommer ?

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer