List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave testing
From:       Matt Koss <koss () post ! sk>
Date:       1999-10-28 9:27:56

On Št, 28 okt 1999, you wrote:

>I like the idea of your program very much and would be interested in having a
>copy.

The test program will be in kdelibs/kio/tests directory, as such publicly
available.

>>From my perspective a minimal implementation would be better, an
>interactive command line program that could handle a subset of the ftp commands
>say ls, del and rm would be great.

Sorry, this will not be a terminal style program.
My idea was to create a small program, that would allow to select an operation,
fill in the source / destination fields and start / stop the kiojob.
All output goes to the shell.
At first I though about putting in some QMultiLineEdit to show the output, but
I guess that it's kind of useless.

The main purpose of this program is not to do a thorough testing of all
kioslave features, rather just to allow simple execution of slaves, without need
to recompile & start everytime some big program ( that would be kmail in your
case, I was using caitoo to test kioslave features so far ).

Writing a testsuite would be probably a killer task, and I am really not into
it right now :-)
The constant using of slaves ( e.g. in konqueror, caitoo or mail programs ) will
probably reveal the possible bugs much quicker.

>May major concern with using the kioslaves is that they are in kdebase,
>currently kmail is dependent on kdelibs but not kdebase.

I agree, IMHO, all kioslaves should be in kio directory, not just the file
slave.

Tonight I will commit the little proggie, test it and tell me what ya think.

	Regards

			Matt

BTW: What's the status of current mail programs in HEAD ?
I was not able to compile latest kmail or empath in HEAD at all, so I don't
know how it works.

I only wish that kicker, kdesktop and kmail already worked, then I would switch
to KDE 2.0 totally.

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@post.sk
Kosice		 ICQ# : 19344305