List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Large icons (was RE: kicker)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-25 16:01:34

Mosfet wrote:

> > Let's try to think about how to do it right.
> > Should the apps read themselves that configuration and pass the
> > result to KIconLoader when creating it ?  - difficult with
> > the way we use KIconLoader (which gets created implicitely).
> > Or should KIconLoader take care of this for the apps (it what
> > it does currently, but the hack comes when identifying which app
> > it's in)...
>
> Well, doing it transparently through KIconLoader is convenient, but I
> need to be able to manually load normal vs. large icons. You know more
> about that code then I do so can make a better choice, all I know is I
> need to be able to manually load all three sizes based on the size of
> kicker.

OK, large and not large are stories of yesterday. What we have now are
icon themes with different sizes. What you want is to say "I want an
icon
them with 16x16", not locate("mini"). How the theme should look like we
should configure at once in kcmdisplay - there can be more than just
"mini".
But the type "large" (or rather loadApplicationLargeIcon :) should be
added
in any way. But this should be all sizes. But in these three sizes
everything
should be possible - and only KIconLoader should know where to find
which icons
and what to do with it - to ensure consistency without patching files in
share/icons.

The current way large is handled is a hack and it was meant this way.
But now
we should make sure if the app wants a large icon, it should get one. So
if
we do not have one, KIconLoader should scale the best it can find.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.