List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop render code updated
From:       Matt Koss <koss () post ! sk>
Date:       1999-10-24 19:03:01

On Ne, 24 okt 1999, Geert Jansen wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I just committed my new background rendering code to kdesktop.
>
>Main features:
>* Can export the desktop background as a shared X pixmap (KSharedPixmap)
>* Support for programs like xearth.
>
>Some issues:
>
>1. I changed the configuration files. I could not motivate myself to write
>something which uses the old config, which I found odd at least. :-)
>The new configuration file is "kdesktoprc" and it contains global and per
>desktop settings. I wrote a program that converts your settings to the new
>format but I don't know when/how to run it. Opinions?

I agree that current configuration files for kbgndwm are not the best solution,
however, I couldn't think of anything else while still using KConfig class.
Each desktop supports many wallpapers which can randomize, and we would need to
use a hierarchical config file for keeping everything in the one file.
This one file could then become very large ( depends on number of randomizing
images ).

>2. I did not yet port kcmdisplay. This will the next thing I'll do.
>
>3. I stripped out a few modes that IMO were just bloat and not usefull.
>Among these are the random mode and some wallpaper tilings. If people want
>them back, that's fine with me, I can even do it, but it is my opinion that
>more is not always better... When I have ported kcmdisplay, please have a
>look at the different possibilities that are offered for the desktop
>background and see if you really miss anything.

Well, what can I say.
I have spent some time to add the randomizing feature, and simply saying that
it's just bloat and not usefull, while still saying that your solution supports
xearth ( which is not useful from my point of view ), seems kind of strange to
me.
I agree that some of the wallpaper tilings might not be used that widely as the
others, but the code for creation of tiling effects is very small and you cannot
call it "bloat" at all.
But randomizing is a feature that you should put back, otherwise I could not
accept your rewrite.
For me it's like you would take an old kpanel, add themeable buttons, but
remove docking feature. See the point ?

	Best regards

				Matt

--