List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kdesktop render code updated
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-10-24 16:55:03

Hi!

I just committed my new background rendering code to kdesktop.

Main features:
* Can export the desktop background as a shared X pixmap (KSharedPixmap)
* Support for programs like xearth.

Some issues:

1. I changed the configuration files. I could not motivate myself to write
something which uses the old config, which I found odd at least. :-)
The new configuration file is "kdesktoprc" and it contains global and per
desktop settings. I wrote a program that converts your settings to the new
format but I don't know when/how to run it. Opinions?

2. I did not yet port kcmdisplay. This will the next thing I'll do.

3. I stripped out a few modes that IMO were just bloat and not usefull.
Among these are the random mode and some wallpaper tilings. If people want
them back, that's fine with me, I can even do it, but it is my opinion that
more is not always better... When I have ported kcmdisplay, please have a
look at the different possibilities that are offered for the desktop
background and see if you really miss anything.

4. Want a screenshot? See
 ftp://skynet.stack.nl/pub/users/geertj/snapshot.png (300 kb)

I did not yet commit the required changes to konsole but I'll do that soon.

5. If you want to test it out, I appended a small config that works. It
assumes you have xearth installed.

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE

file: .kde/share/config/kdesktoprc:

[Background Common]
CacheSize=5000
CommonDesktop=true