List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: changes in kapp + ktmainwindow (helpMenu())
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-22 8:04:32

Espen Sand wrote:

> Since this change will stop compilation/linking in every application that use
> KApplication::helpMenu() I will tell how to change (not everybody, including
> myself is subscribed to kde-cvs)
>
> 1. helpMenu(), aboutKDE(), aboutApp() and appHelpActivated() have moved from
> KApplication to KTMainWindow. KDE2PORTING has been updated
>
> 2. The signature of helpMenu() has changed. I have removed the argument that
> would add the "About Qt" entry since it didn't do that at all anyway. The new
> signature is KTMainWindow::helpMenu ( const QString& appAboutText )
>
> 3. I assume there will be some problems with this shift. Not every app is using
> ktmainwindow so It will be necessary to make some static methods to access the
> dialog boxes (not done yet).
Can't you do them static from the beginning? What do they need
KTMainWindow for?
Just a question :)

> 4. I need some help.
> --------------
> a) I use an image in the new "About KDE" dialog box. I have  added this image
> to the kdeui directory, because I was unable (for some reason) to get the
> Makefile working in a new subdirectory of kdeui. If someone would make
> kdeui/pics, move the image ("aboutkde.png") there, and update the makefiles it
> would be nice.
Why do you want a subdir for a single file? I think this is wasting
time. Or are
there other pics?

> b) The "About KDE" assumes that the image is in KDEDIR/share/icons. (Currently
> the image is not installed - reason above). Is this a good place? I could not
> figure out anything more appropriate. If the location is changed, make sure to
> update the ktmainwidget source code as well (locate() in aboutKDE() )

share/icons is _definitly_ a bad place to consider pictures in.
$kde_datadir + "/kdeui/icons" is better I'd say.

Greetings, Stephan

--
KDEDIR is dead, long lives KDEDIRS - the winner takes it all