List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    changes in kapp + ktmainwindow (helpMenu())
From:       Espen Sand <espen.sand () neo ! no>
Date:       1999-10-22 6:40:34

Since this change will stop compilation/linking in every application that use
KApplication::helpMenu() I will tell how to change (not everybody, including
myself is subscribed to kde-cvs)

1. helpMenu(), aboutKDE(), aboutApp() and appHelpActivated() have moved from
KApplication to KTMainWindow. KDE2PORTING has been updated

2. The signature of helpMenu() has changed. I have removed the argument that
would add the "About Qt" entry since it didn't do that at all anyway. The new
signature is KTMainWindow::helpMenu ( const QString& appAboutText )

3. I assume there will be some problems with this shift. Not every app is using
ktmainwindow so It will be necessary to make some static methods to access the
dialog boxes (not done yet).

4. I need some help.
--------------
a) I use an image in the new "About KDE" dialog box. I have  added this image
to the kdeui directory, because I was unable (for some reason) to get the
Makefile working in a new subdirectory of kdeui. If someone would make
kdeui/pics, move the image ("aboutkde.png") there, and update the makefiles it
would be nice.

b) The "About KDE" assumes that the image is in KDEDIR/share/icons. (Currently
the image is not installed - reason above). Is this a good place? I could not
figure out anything more appropriate. If the location is changed, make sure to
update the ktmainwidget source code as well (locate() in aboutKDE() )

--
Espen Sand