List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: sycoca
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-10-21 9:01:28

> Hi David
>
> You asked me on IRC to stop talking so much and do something
> useful :-)
Hehe ;)

> Yes, I tested sycoca and yes, it works well with konqueror, kdesktop,
> kicker.
Cool !

> While kdesktop is visibly/blazingly faster than this morning,
> while kpanel and kicker menus are simply flying, with very few hdd
> grinding, when opening them, konqueror still drags his leg.
>
> The problem isn't with sycoca, still (which is here too
> extremely fast)
> but it seems that konqy parses twice the opening dir (or maybe the
> bookmarks?) and issues a whole lot of kstddir (can't find ... ) errors
> (it's true I have very numerous bookmarks).
Yes, I have lots of bookmarks as well and since they are xpms of course,
you get tons of warnings. I have started a script (committed in konqueror)
to update the user's bookmarks when ran for the first time, but it
has to be fixed and called on a new release (as part of all the
'new release' stuff that has to be moved to kdesktop).

However I don't think that's the reason for slowness...
Will have to investigate that.

> Sycoca just works, right now, and seems stable, exactly how
> the KDE mentor lines are saying :-)
;)

> P.S. Am I allowed to delete the kregistry file for a last time? :-)
yes, you can !
But not the ksycoca one ;)

--
David Faure