List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Recent document menu and KFileDialog
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-20 8:52:13

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> #if Mosfet
> > I like it too. Thinking about it a little using the default mimetype
> > handler isn't good enough tho. If a text file is opened in kwrite it
> > should be launched in kwrite - not kedit, etc... I think I'll use a
> > special key specifically to state the name of the opening app that
> > kicker will parse. Other apps (such as Konqi) will just use the
> > associated mimetype application as default.
>
> KJournal found this easy because it was calling add() from within KApplication,
> so it just did kapp->name().
You know that kapp->name doesn't give you an executable, right?
kcmdisplay's
name used to be kdisplay for ages - just an example.

> I also added a button to KFileDialog to give a list of recently opened
> files which could be sorted by access time or shown as a tree, with apps
> (and their associated icons) as the root nodes. This worked very well.
Nah - not in KFileDialog. You don't want to run apps out of the file
dialog.

> This gives you a history of recent files from within KFileDialog, which
> is very useful. I used it until I killed off 1_1_BRANCH from my drive.
I wanted to have a recent file list per app (and filter) - everything
else
doesn't make sense for a file dialog I'd say.

> I also wrote a tiny utility to write a new entry to the journal. This
> sorted out non-KDE apps. I had an entry in my .vimrc to run it whenever
> I opened a file. Very tasty.

Hmm, whoever needs that... :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.