List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes to kdelibs
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-10-17 22:57:57

Geert Jansen wrote:

> It was suggested that I temporarily add a class to kdecore that does
> the IPC stuff like it is done now and port kcmdisplay and friends to it.
> Then, when the switch to DCOP is made, it is much easier to do because
> the old code is in one place. Can I go ahead with this?

I would say so. If such code is present at several places, concentrating
it sounds like a good idea.

> Also, I hope my explanation why I need the backgroundChanged() signal in
> KApplication was clear? It will be next to the paletteChanged() and
> styleChanged() signals. When we switch to DCOP, they could move out of
> there, maybe to a seperate class which implements the basic KDE IPC
> handling.

Your wish for such a signal may be understandable but keep this in mind:
every addition to KApplication has to be reviewed carefully regarding
their general usefullness. We must not clutter it with all sorts of
special purpose properties.

It might be a good idea to reinstate someone with a good overview (like
Kalle) to keep an eye on what goes in.

Harri.