List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: package split
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-10-04 8:14:26

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999, Harri Porten wrote:
> > <nit-pick>
> > KBiff is a bad example to use, here, as I always make sure that the
> > stand-alone version from my web-site is up to date.  In fact, because
> > of the many months long 'freezes', the version on my website is always
> > MORE advanced the the version in kdenetwork.
> > </nit-pick>
>
> Then I'm happy with choosing kbiff as an example. Why do you have to go
> trough the pain of maintaining and publishing two different versions ?
> Because kdenetwork is "moving" so god dam slowly. If the next major KDE
> release would simply include your latest stand-alone version your life
> would be easier. I do the same with kppp btw.

I think we should indeed get rid of the current packages and split them into
seperate CVS modules. Releasing the packages as they are today becomes
unmanagable. It is a major pain in the ass to convince 200 developers that they
should freeze for two months because we have to make a release. That has
to change.

We can continue to work with kdelibs and kdebase as we do now. All the other
applications should be released on their own. We can still decide to bundle a
set of applications as a single package if that is more convenient for the user.
Tar is your friend.

KDE has become too big for the current way of handling things.

Cheers,
Waldo