List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-03 9:32:48

Roberto Alsina wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> > However, for the application that I'm working on I'm also going to be needing
> > to be able to do things like "get me all the 'x' header lines for the
> > newsgroup" (xhdr), as well as being able to do just a "head" request to get
> > the header information for a specific news article posting (e.g. Lines,
> > Subject, From, etc).  This is where I'm not quite sure how it fits together
> > right; presuming that a 'HEAD' request can be done (similarly to a 'HEAD'
> > request in HTTP), should that result in the value returned being the actual
> > header of the message itself?
>
> You mean if NNTP has a HEAD command? Yes (or is it HEADER?) anyway, it
> returns the real full headers. But for that kind of data you should
> probably use XOVER :-)

I don't recall it having any sort of "HEAD" or "HEADER" command in NNTP, but
know that theres the "XHDR" extension that lets you get certain header lines.
Either way, though, it did make me wonder how to map the various NNTP commands
onto some sort of kioslave.

> > I guess my whole wishy-washy-ness on this wasn't as to how the URL actually
> > gets turned into something that gets requested from the server, but in that I
> > already know something that I want to request from the server and haven't
> > quite figured out how (if at all) that maps back cleanly into a kioslave.  Did
> > that make any sense?
>
> I thought about this too and decided it's fitting a square peg in a round
> hole :-P

Yeah, and that's why I hadn't started working on one yet.  What I think I'm
going to do here is start to try to map out some sort of idea as to how the
RFC compliant URLs can be used to provide "basic" functionality, while having
sufficient extensions in there through the use of URL parameters to do some of
the more 'cool' things that can be done with NNTP.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// What color is a chameleon on a mirror?