List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-10-02 7:22:47

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> - it likes to kill cross-language operation. Most other than C++
> programmers won't have it easy to create a lib that could be loaded as
> a part, I think. AFAIK there are tools that can (almost) automatically
> create language-bindings for foreign languages to access c++ libs, but
> I don't know if they can work the other way, I mean create a language
> binding for a foreign language so that a C++ program could load it as a
> shlib. I don't think this works, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is very non trivial.
The only way I can think right now is if the API that the module to be
loaded is *very* minimal, then most languages that support embedding can
work around it.

However, it's possible to autogenerate a shared lib that exports an
interface to an implementation written in python. The tool to do it
doesn't exist, but it's not very different from SIP, the one used for the
python binding.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)