List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: More thoughts about embedding
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-10-02 2:39:48

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Richard Moore wrote:

> You're forgetting about QtAWT - I can probably get all of these things to
> work ok. I already have a QWidget that embedds applet views in kdejava
> and when the native peers are reimplemented using Qt many of the issues
> (such as support for the QXEmbed protocol) will fall nicely into place.
> Incidentally the kdejava stuff is all based on a simple text based IPC
> protocol using pipes, I chose not to use CORBA because of the complexity
> and overhead - Canossa is much more practical IMHO.

Wow! Masters are changing the world, be happy, we are witness of history
making 8-)

> The only issue I would take against Canossa is the dependency on Qt 2.1,
> when will we see this? I don't have enough bandwidth to keep up to date
> with all of the CVS repositories, so for me to develop effectively I need
> some stable snapshots (eg. a 2.1 beta!).

IMHO qt-cvs (2.1 pre) behaves quite nicely and the API seems to have
become steady now. I too work on KDE over a 33.6k modem, and updating KDE
and qt cvs once a day or once at 2 days is a 5-10 minutes job (I can even
do them simultaneously without visible speed loss).

Cristian