List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KRASH and aRts
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       1999-10-01 18:17:29

   Hi!

Just wanted to say that I think it might be a good idea to have some kind
of aRts support or similar in KRASH, if aRts is to become the KDE2 audio
server. What I for instance could imagine would be a configure option
or something that adds some aRts support to the KDE2 multimedia stuff.

Here a short status overview of what is done and what remains to be done
(includes various stuff adressed in the last discussion):

- security concerns

  I have included artswrapper now, which is a ~50 lines C program, the only
  thing aRts will suggest (though not strictly require) to be installed suid
  root.

- QT2/KDE2 support

  Just checked in.

- non root running audio server

  Configurable buffer sizes are implemented since arts-0.3.4, so you should
  be able to configure it so that it runs without root/realtime priority,
  but higher latency.

- esd compliance

  I adressed that on the gnome lists, and got a reply from Havoc Pennington,
  who said that they are not happy with esd either, and might consider
  switching to aRts as well, if KDE does. He offered porting in that case.

  However this thing may be more complex as it looks now, as I don't know
  if the difficulities they might get when porting (uncomplete ORBit C++
  bindings for instance) can then be solved - perhaps they just decide to
  do their own aRts then?

- shouldn't consume CPU time when idle

  This requires rewriting the aRts scheduler, adding some "powersaving"
  functionality. That's not done now, and I don't know if it will be until
  KRASH.

- memory footprint / CPU footprint

  No changes here.

- kde library integration

  If I get time, I'll try to hack something together until the Erlangen
  meeting, to see if integration as audioserver is really nice.

All in all I am looking forward to the meeting in Erlangen, and hope to
get some clear ideas about the right way to go with aRts and KDE2.

   Cu... Stefan