List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: More thoughts about embedding
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-09-30 9:20:30

> >> doesn't work in

> >> really fine.
> >>
> >> My biggest concern here is not only stableness, but also
> >> speed. In konqy you will not have more than a view embedded
> >> parts, but in a koffice doc I can imagine 50 embedded parts.
> >
> >Yes and no.
> >konqueror, even at startup, already uses embedding. It uses it
> >for ANY view you can see in it. In koffice, the native view
> isn't embedded.
> >Sure, in a document you can go up to 50 embedded parts if you
> >want, but AFAIK, even under Windows nobody does it. But
> >let's not argue on numbers it's pointless.
> >My main point (and yours, remember) _is_ about stableness.
> >About slowness, that's where we need to keep working on, and
> >I'm pretty sure cuteidl + tinymico + shared libs instead of
> remote processes
> >can make a huge difference.
> >
> >The design of openparts does NOT make embedding broken, otherwise it
> >wouldn't work in konqueror. But there's something broken in
> >the way koffice
> >does embedding, and we need to fix it.
>
> But then we (not me, I'm not a CORBA guru :-) should start
> fixing in the KOffice. It's there borken now for more than a year (this
> means since we switched from shared libs to CORBA).
Yes, it's been broken for a very long time because nobody
has taken the time to fix it, not because it's inherently broken.

I'm volunteering to try and fix it this weekend, but that's only
if we decide not to drop it :))

I'm not saying the current stuff is perfect - I think we should go
for shared libs, but still using corba and openparts (though
they can be improved, for instance describing the GUI in XML).

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer