List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: multithreading (was Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA)
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-09-30 8:50:54

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> >Stefan Taferner <taferner@salzburg.co.at> wrote:
> >
> >> Compiling Kde already takes a long time on my machine.
> >
> >Well, "compilation time" can NEVER be an issue for a desktop system.
> >The important thing is how fast and reliable it works, und not how long
> >does it take to compile.
> >
> >If we would wonder about compilation time, we would code in assembler
> >or native machine language and not in something "slow" like C++.
> >
> >> Speed and stability is an issue.
> >
> >right, and multithreading. current Qt programs are mostly
> >single-threaded, whenever something takes longer the screen update
> >hangs. that's uncool. Windows solved that 4 years ago.
>
> You don't need multithreading for that, QTimer + qApp->processEvents() in long
> loops does it as well :-))

Yes.

There are usually ways to come around update problems. Using multiple
threads is not required in most apps.

Yes, MS has multiple threads, but having many apps using them introduces
other problems. E.g. the system is busy switching threads (a thread switch
in Windows is only marginally faster than a task switch in Linux....)

--Stefan