List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: back to corba (was RE: Transparency -- take 2)
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-30 0:08:23

Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll@mpi-hd.mpg.de> wrote:

> On the other hand, if we want to keep open standards (which I would
> very much like too see), we have to define these things in idl and use
> CORBA. I don't really see an alternative to that. I would very much
> favor an open approach.

Well, then we need to hack mico (or whatever ORB we're going to use)
and make it load the part as a shared lib if it is local and don't do
that (de-)marshalling stuff all the time.

I strongly vote for that option. We CANNOT DROP CORBA! We must make it
faster and more reliable, even if that means switching to a different
ORB.

But on the other side the API must get simpler than the current
OpenParts. Something very near to Qt would be perfect, as we all know
that well enough ;-)

--
Dirk A. Mueller