List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Back to the basics
From:       Daniel Naber <dnaber () mini ! gt ! owl ! de>
Date:       1999-09-29 18:34:10

On Mit, 29 Sep 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> The two arguments in favor of using CORBA are so:
>
> 2) CORBA allows for networked components
>
> I reject 2) completely.  I have not ever heard of this happening.

Maybe, but you will here of it. No matter if we implement it, other
will do so and then we'll have to follow and people will say "KDE
cannot innovate".

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody seems to see the power of
remote components and how important they migt get. Today,
you surf the net to look at html pages. Tomorrow you'll surf the
net to try out a new spreadsheet - without installing it! Just
embed it into your documents. If you like it, you can still
download it.

You can says that's just a vision and it won't come true. But
before you do, please think if it would be good. Yes, it would:
No more installing possible insecure, not well-known
programs locally just to uninstall them 15 minutes later
because you don't like them.

KDE has achieved so much - today we cannot just think
"but I never saw that in real use upto now" but be have to look
into the future. And not just that, if there's a vision like "remote
components everywhere" we can *make* it come true, we
don't have to wait for others to do so!

Regards
 Daniel

PS: I cannot vote pro/against Canossa, but we need *some*
way for remote components, even if it's not that fast.

--
PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A