List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: back to corba (was RE: Transparency -- take 2)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-09-29 14:55:32

> > Yes I see :)
> >
> > I see that what we need is the best of both worlds :
> > keeping CORBA interfaces for allowing third-party implementations
> > but using shared libs for koffice, for performance and stability
reasons.

> > I can see two ways of doing this :
> > 1) using the shared-lib functionality of Corba (hi Matthias !),
> > 2) doing our own shared-lib stuff AND keeping IDL interfaces
> >
> > What IS bad is servers, we all agree on that (hopefully).
> > So what need is shared libs. One way or the other among the two above, I
> > think.
>
> I don't think (anymore..) that 1) is the way to go, as it
> keeps us with the OpenPartsUI trouble.
It's a trouble we have to live with if we want to remain open to
other toolkits. I mean the real decision is there, isn't it ?
Waldo, Jo (and Matthias?) say : let's keep that option open.
Most others up to now say : we don't need that.
I say, well I don't know, but sure openpartsui is trouble :)

As pointed out earlier on, it's not something we want NOW.
But here the question is about the future...

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with 2) ? Using canossa while
> keeping IDL interfaces? Which interfaces then? OpenPartsUI?
That's what I meant yes.

> I don't think that we should use a special solution only for
> KOffice and let the other's use OpenParts. Or did I misunderstand you?
You didn't misunderstand, but you put it in a strange way.
It's very often that you see solutions for the general case with
optimisations for the local case. CORBA does that for calls in the
same process, Linux does it in a lot of places, ...
I see no problem in providing an open solution with still having
our own way of doing things.

> I simply vote for 100% Canossa :-)
Hmm yes we know :)
But that's short term - we can find better long-term solutions IMHO.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer