List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-09-29 13:30:34

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote:
> > I like this too and considered it (sharing the Pixmap handles across
> > applications). The problem: When KDesktop crashes all
> > psudeo-transparent apps
> > will crash. You will need to check before each access and do
> > something else if the "server" is gone.
> Hehe, it seems very related to the CORBA thread finally, even if it's
> not CORBA :)))
>
> This is always the same problem : one program relying on another one
> has problems if that other one crashes. Even in kde-1.x we had that
> for kfm and all the apps trying to talk to it.
>
> But, since kdesktop isn't supposed to crash, is it really a problem ? :))

Yes! ;-) If kdesktop does crash for some odd reason we cannot take other apps
down with it. The two options we have in this case is either a) have kdesktop
automatically restart and and applications requesting a shared pixmap wait, or
b) have some mechanism for the shared pixmap to "fork" a local copy if kdesktop
bombs.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com