List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Transparency -- take 2
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-09-29 13:21:46

> I like this too and considered it (sharing the Pixmap handles across
> applications). The problem: When KDesktop crashes all
> psudeo-transparent apps
> will crash. You will need to check before each access and do
> something else if the "server" is gone.
Hehe, it seems very related to the CORBA thread finally, even if it's
not CORBA :)))

This is always the same problem : one program relying on another one
has problems if that other one crashes. Even in kde-1.x we had that
for kfm and all the apps trying to talk to it.

But, since kdesktop isn't supposed to crash, is it really a problem ? :))

> I actually messed around with doing this for sharing the
> KThemeBase pixmap
> cache - it would be really cool but not much has come from it
> yet, mostly
> because of the above issue. Feel free to play around with it
> if you like, but
> try to make it a generic pixmap sharing mechanism.
Sure, sharing possibily ANY pixmap sounds better than sharing the desktop
one only...

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer