List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-09-29 12:31:23

Let's take an example :
a menu in kspread is either a QPopupMenu or an OPMenu.
We have to choose here, we can't do both.
An embedded part wants to add its item into it when embedding itself.
The first one can only be accessed through the Qt API => same process only
the second one, though being physically a QPopupMenu for us, implements an
IDL
interface, so it can be accessed from a remote process as well.
                                                        ^^^^^^
Oh yes your point is very good : we could keep the Openparts interface, but
do 'local' embedding for koffice, using the canessa-like way.

In the example above, the menu would still be an OPMenu, but would
be used as a QPopupMenu (it inherits from it) for koffice purposes.

What do you (all) think ?

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer