List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () uermel ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-29 11:56:27

Do we need a CORBA based standard for embedding, or is a plain C++/shlib
based standard enough?

IMHO we don't need CORBA here.

There are two points about embedding I think. One is about describing and
creating (and sharing) a GUI, and the other one is about embedding an
X Window.

For the second point we surely don't need CORBA, and for first point I
think we don't need it either.

We can describe a complete GUI in XML. The remaining problem is: How is
the GUI connected to the component, so that when some action takes place
(use clicks on a toolbar-button or so) a specific callback method in the
component gets called, and how can the component change the GUI elements
at run-time.

These points, the way the component is "connected" to it's GUI elements,
is a very toolkit specific issue IMHO. You can of course attempt to hide
this behind a CORBA interface, like it is done in OpenPartsUI, but in the
end it restricts the developer a lot (David's accel issue is a good
example) .

In the end we could attempt to develop a UI CORBA interface, which is
"compatible" with both, Qt and GTK, but this would require (probably
massive) changes in the current OpenPartsUI interfaces I think (I admit
though that I'm not very skilled with GTK, but from what I saw in Bonobo,
the way they create and connect to a GUI is somewhat different in several
aspects) .

I'm not sure, but I guess I'd be called a dreamer if I'd suggest to start
a discussion about creating such a "unified" interface between Qt and GTK.

And I guess it is very likely that the performance of a system built on
such an interface is even worse that the current OpenPartsUI.

That's one of the reasons why I support Torben's proposal, as we gain
performance and flexibility (with Qt's *impressive* QAction concept) ,
without the trouble of defining everything in IDL and hoping for someone
to implement it in GTK ;-)

Ciao,
 Simon