List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-09-29 8:39:53

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > [Snip]
> >
> > > So this is no removal of an open desktop component standard IMHO, the idea
> > > of components remains! It's just a matter of using fast and efficient C++
> > > interfaces and shared libraries instead of CORBA.
> >
> > Like I said: We're moving to a proprietary Qt solution instead of to a solution
> > based on open standards. I find that a sad development.
>
> If you want to embed an OpenParts::Part component in your application,
> then you have to use (read: link against) libkparts and libqt.
>
> If you don't want to link against it, then you have to re-implement the
> whole OpenParts in your desired toolkit.
>
> I don't see the difference, meaning our solution already depends on Qt.

Well, you don't see me cheering about that, do you? So instead of improving
this situation we will make it worse. Instead of making KDE a open desktop
environment we keep coming up with solutions which nobody but KDE
and our Troll-friends use. It might be that we are giving away the source,
but or the rest of it we are becoming more proprietary than MS.

Cheers,
Waldo