List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KTabListBox
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-31 10:08:43

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> >> Well, let's ask another question.
> >>
> >> What features has KFileDialog which QFileDialog hasn't ?
> >>
> >It can seperate dirs and files, use libkio to query ftp servers
> >(or gopher servers for that meaning :), does have a preview mode,
> >is quite flexible (look at ark for an example). Follows KDE's look
> >and feel (and not window's).
>
> Ok, not totally true:
>
> QFileDialog is now async, network transparent and URL based, and it's possible
> to add dynamically network protocol implementations (I only tested with ftp but
> you can add every protocol). And QFileDialog has preview modes. I don't know
> what you mean by flexible, but QFileDialog has following things, which

??? It has none of this according to the Qt 2.01 docs, what gives?

> KFileDialog doesn't have
> - Drag'n'Drop (copy/move)
> - in-place renaming
> - deleting of files

All three of these would be easy to add tp KfileDialog too. KFileDialog
also has:

- Bookmarks
- Single or double click navigation
- The ability to mix dirs and files into a single view, or to keep the
separate.
- LOTS of flexibility about how it can be subclassed. Much more so than
QFileDialog, especially in terms of how the UI can be extended.
- The ability to add 'internal' application virtual file systems by
subuclassing
KDir. This could be used to navigate a data structure for example.
- Multi glob patterns
- KDE look and feel rather than Windows.

> Also it has a mode where you can select multiple files and get a list of them
> back, I don't know if KFileDialog has this.

It has the methods, but multi select isn't implemented right now. This needs
adding for KDevelop.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk